Monday, June 27, 2011

Easy Paper Flower Tutorial


I am not sure right now what to call this flower I was originally going for a ranunculus. This kinda looks like a rose/ peony.



You will need: 


Scissors
Hot glue gun
Template
Pencil
Printer paper
Piece of foam(I used an egg crate...a pillow would work.)
Brats
rounded instrument (like the end of make up brush)


Templates:

Print your templates Make sure to "scale to fit page" when printing. I used decrease margins too.


Cut:

Use 2 sheets of paper for every flower. I can cut 8 flowers out at a time...but this will depend on your scissors. I also  cut on the out side line rather than inside...I like big flowers :)I know I sacrifice the top sheet! 
(((Important tip: NUMBER YOUR FLOWERS 1-7 One is the smallest flower and seven the largest )))
I am using my original hand drawn template here. I now cheat and use the printed one :)
Seven happy piles.


Shape:


This is where the magic happens. Get your foam and your round ended tool (I used a kid toy shhhhh)Working on the flat side.  Move the tool along the edge of your petals pressing fairly hard.

 
Like this :)
 Now you have piles of crinkled paper.

Form Your Flowers:
Get your brat and both of your 1 petals (the smallest) pierce them and secure the brat (your flowers center). 

You will be adding petals in this order 1,1,2,2,3,4,3,4,5,6,5,7,6,7
kinda cute




 Make a cabbage and glue the petals together. Be careful not to burn yourself!




Next add both petals #2 

You will end up with something like this.
Add layers to the "cabbage" by gluing the top of each petal and forming around your center. Gradually apply less glue to let the flower open.
Glue and press your flower down on each new layer.
Remember to over lap the layers or your flower will look funny.

Enjoy:

Who knew  just 2 pieces of printer paper could be so beautiful. You can add stems to your flowers by replacing the brat with floral wire and pierce through all the layers... Add stamens or a jewel.  

24 comments:

  1. Well Done! You got some great shots of the assembling process:) The end blossoms are absolutely beautiful. Be sure to share photos of the blooms from the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this tutorial. Totally found it randomly and just adore it. I made some for myself at home and linked to it in a blog post I published today. Thanks for sharing.

    Amy {aprons & ambition}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, thank you very much! A little tip though, they are "brads," not "brats." I was worried at first that I wouldn't have all the supplies needed because my husband took the kids out! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, thanks for this tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your flower design and great tutorial. However, the metal piece in the middle of the flower is called a "brad" not a brat. Those will be the obnoxious children running around causing havoc at your wedding.
    I am anxious to get started making these flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what paper did you use or was it card stock ??? beautiful flowers thankyou so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am going to try this out of scrapbook paper or tissue for a journal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Premium wedding flowers from the finest U.S. growers, Wholesale Flowers by the bunch or the case no minimum order. Nationwide to your door delivery.wedding flowers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog has always been a good source for me to get quality tips on blogging. Thanks once again.
    wholesale wedding flowers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, I just wanted to say thanks for this informative post, can you please allow me to post it on my blog?
    cheap garden fencing

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was another joy to see your post. It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. Great stuff as usual...
    pvc fencing installation

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved reading your thoughts, obviously you know what are you talking about! Your site is so easy to use too, I’ve bookmark it in my folder
    cheap garden fencing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another helpful post. This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to several more times this year!
    nature beauty photo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog, keeping me from working. All the Best  
    nature beauty photo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos, it must be memorable wedding day for ever.
    wedding officiant

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
    soutien scolaire

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article it was such an interesting and informative article.
    Aluminum Fence

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fantastic! I want to also try to build them from fabric for wardrobe accents! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. I Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!
    lawn care houston tx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wondering what is a brat? And what type of paper you used? Cardstock?

    ReplyDelete
  22. a brad (not brat) brass fastener, paper fastener or split pin is a stationery item used for securing multiple sheets of paper together. ... The fastener is inserted into punched holes in the stack of paper, and the leaves, or tines, of the legs are separated and bent over to secure the paper.

    ReplyDelete